- Be Prepared. Before you enter a biology lab, you should be prepared for and knowledgeable about any lab exercises that are to be performed.
- Be Neat.
- Be Careful.
- Wear Proper Clothing.
- Be Cautious With Chemicals.
- Wear Safety Goggles.
- Locate Safety Equipment.
- Biology Lab Don’ts.
What are some do’s and don’ts of laboratory safety?
- Do Wear Eye Protection.
- Do Practice Fire Safety.
- Do Handle Glassware Safely.
- Do Keep Notes.
- Do Wear Gloves.
- Do Wear Closed-Toed Shoes.
- Do Practice Electrical Safety.
- Don’t Eat or Drink in the Lab.
What are the safety rules in biology laboratory?
- Know locations of laboratory safety showers, eyewashstations, and fire extinguishers.
- Know emergency exit routes.
- Avoid skin and eye contact with all chemicals.
- Minimize all chemical exposures.
- No horseplay will be tolerated.
- Assume that all chemicals of unknown toxicity are highly toxic.
What should you not do in the laboratory?
- Wearing open-toed shoes.
- Keeping long hair down.
- Eating or drinking.
- Erasing data from your notebook.
- Showing up late.
- Forgetting to label samples or materials.
- Incorrectly disposing of your materials.
- Wearing shorts.
What are the 10 lab safety rules?
- of 10. The Most Important Lab Safety Rule.
- of 10. Know the Location of Safety Equipment.
- of 10. Dress for the Lab.
- of 10. Don’t Eat or Drink in the Laboratory.
- of 10. Don’t Taste or Sniff Chemicals.
- of 10. Don’t Play Mad Scientist in the Laboratory.
- of 10. Dispose of Lab Waste Properly.
- of 10.
What is the first rule of lab safety?
1. Wear protective lab attire: Make sure you use PPE at all times inside the laboratory. Put on a lab coat with full sleeves, closed-toe shoes, and safety goggles before entering the lab. If you have long hair, it’s better to keep it tied and out of the way when working in the lab.
Why are rules in the laboratory important?
The failure to comply with the regulations related to the laboratories will result in the legal actions against the laboratory. Another important duty of the manager is to ensure quality practices in the lab so as to increase the performance of the laboratory.
What are the 5 most important lab safety rules?
- Dress appropriately.
- Keep a tidy lab.
- Know your lab safety symbols.
- Handle chemical spills properly.
- Know your safety equipment.
- Test your skills in our Lab Safety simulation.
What is precaution for biology?
Universal Precautions for Students Working With Urine or Saliva. Before lab, wash hands thoroughly and line the work area with clean paper towels. Students must wear gloves and may only handle their own body fluids. Students must wear lab aprons, safety glasses, and surgical masks.
What are three things you should not do in the science laboratory?
- People working with their heads in the fume hoods.
- Workers opening Beta-mercaptoethanol outside of a fume hood.
- Making or storing food in the lab.
- Eating close to or directly at the lab bench.
What are 4 important things you should do at the end of every lab?
- Clean up your work area.
- Turn off and unplug any equipment and return it to its proper place.
- Some waste should not be throw in the trash or poured down the drain. Listen to your teacher’s instructions about proper disposal.
What are 5 safety rules in science?
- Act responsibly in the science classroom / lab.
- Follow all written and verbal instructions carefully.
- Never work alone.
- Do not touch equipment or chemicals in the lab until your teacher gives instructions.
- Do not eat, drink or chew gum in the science classroom / lab.
- Do not drink from lab containers.
What is lab safety Rule #3?
RULE #3: HANDLING CHEMICALS Wear gloves whenever pouring chemicals or handling them. If there is a spill be sure to let the teacher know. If you have to dispose of chemicals, always use the waste containers provided on your lab tables. NEVER pour the chemicals back into the container you got it from.
How do you stay safe in a lab?
- Wear the appropriate gear.
- Stay up to date on training.
- Stick to the rules for having lab visitors.
- Label your workspace properly.
- Dispose of all materials appropriately.
- Memorize your emergency procedures.
What is the most important lab safety rule?
The most important lab safety rule is to know the location of and how to use safety equipment, such as a fire extinguisher. In laboratories, chances of accidents always exist despite any precautions that are taken. This is because there is always a chance of human error.
What are 5 precautions that must be taken before beginning an experiment?
- Wash hands.
- Remove any jewelry.
- Tie back long hair.
- Wear proper clothing (no loose clothes, close-toed shoes, long pants and sleeves)
- Wear safety googles and gloves.
What are the five safety measures?
- STAY ALERT – and stay alive.
- WEAR THE RIGHT CLOTHES – work clothes should fit properly.
- USE THE RIGHT TOOLS – if you need a hammer, get a hammer.
- LEARN HOW TO LIFT – Lifting takes more than muscle; it is an art.
What are the principles of good laboratory practice?
The Principles of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) are a managerial quality control system covering the organisational process and the conditions under which non-clinical health and environmental studies are planned, performed, monitored, recorded, reported and retained (or archived).
Which of the following items are proper to have or wear in a biology laboratory?
I will always wear a lab apron and safety goggles in the lab. Even if you aren’t working on an experiment, laboratories contain chemicals that can damage your clothing, so wear your apron and keep the strings of the apron tied. Because chemicals can cause eye damage, even blindness, you must wear safety goggles.
What is a biology laboratory?
In general, a biology laboratory is a room where biological studies, analyzes and experiments are carried out. Based on the Occupational Health and Safety Act (ArbSchG), Infection Protection Act (IfSG) and Home Work Act (HAG), the Biological Agents Ordinance (BioStoffV) applies.
Why are safety rules important in a science lab?
By becoming familiar with the laboratory you’re working in and always following proper safety procedures, you can help to prevent or eliminate hazards. You will also know the proper steps to take in the unfortunate event that something does go wrong.
Why is safety important in a science lab?
A laboratory poses potential risks due to exposure to corrosive and toxic materials, flammable solvents, high pressure gases, explosive chemicals and dangerous microbes. A little care and adherence to prescribed safety guidelines will help avoid laboratory mishaps.
What are safety precautions?
(ˈseɪftɪ prɪˈkɔːʃən ) noun. a precaution that is taken in order to ensure that something is safe and not dangerous.
What are hazards in the laboratory?
Most hazards encountered fall into three main categories: chemical, biological, or physical. Cleaning agents and disinfectants, drugs, anesthetic gases, solvents, paints, and compressed gases are examples of chemical hazards. Potential exposures to chemical hazards can occur both during use and with poor storage.
How do you prepare for a science lab?
- Complete any pre-lab assignments or homework.
- Know the location of the lab safety equipment and understand how to use it.
- Read through the experiment before going to the lab.
- Start filling out your lab notebook with information about the experiment.