- Arrive early.
- Be understanding.
- Use other teachers as a resource.
- Maintain control of the classroom.
- Know how to manage discipline effectively.
- Consider any special needs students.
- Have a backup plan.
- Reward good behavior.
What should a substitute teacher do if there are no lesson plans?
- Leaving a Substitute Teacher Hanging. Substitute teaching can be quite the challenge.
- Ask the Students.
- Have Go-To Resources on Hand.
- Play an Academic Game.
- Show a Movie.
- Open a Study Hall.
- Hold Realistic Objectives.
How do substitute teachers prepare for assignments?
- Get There Early to Prepare. When you start a new substitute teaching assignment, arrive early so you can get acquainted with your new surroundings.
- Get to Know Your Colleagues.
- Have a Backup Plan.
- Make Discipline Fun.
- Bond with Your Students.
- Let Your Personality Shine.
What should a substitute teacher bring to class?
- Pack of pencils.
- Pack of erasers.
- Flash cards.
- Paper clips.
- Mini stapler.
- Loose leaf paper.
- Dry erase markers.
What should a substitute teacher do on the first day?
1. What Should A Substitute Teacher Do On The First Day? A first time substitute teacher should be prepared to follow the lesson plan and keep the students engaged throughout the day. They should also be aware of any students with special needs so they can make sure that those needs are being met.
Is being a substitute teacher stressful?
Subbing is infamous because it’s a position of incredibly high stress—and incredibly low stakes.
How do you introduce yourself as a substitute teacher?
Make a Great First Impression Here’s an example of a positive introduction: “Good morning class! My name is (Ms., Mrs. or Mr.) ___ and I will be your teacher for the day. Just a reminder that all the daily classroom rules and expectations still apply with me even though I am not your daily teacher.
How do substitute teachers survive?
- Know Your Role. First of all, it is important to understand your role.
- Take Charge Immediately.
- Get Their Names.
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Becoming a Substitute Teacher.
- Follow the Plan.
- Have Emergency Resources.
- Write The Report.
How do I regain my students attention?
- Be clear.
- Be patient.
- Pump up the volume.
- Play a game.
- Strike a chord.
- Fly like a butterfly, sit quietly like a bee.
- Narrate your count down.
- Use clever attention-grabbers.
Why do students misbehave with subs?
One reason students misbehave for a substitute is the pacing of the day. This can be because there weren’t enough activities left or there were too many and none were labeled as a top priority.
How do you write a substitute lesson plan?
- Prepare an “Any-time” Set of Sub Plans Ahead of Time.
- Put Together a Sub Binder.
- Create a Sub Tub.
- Write Detailed Lesson Plans.
- Get Feedback From the Sub.
How long should sub plans be?
The fast track to peace and reassurance while you’re out of the classroom is creating sub plans that work for you and not against you. Substitute teachers only need a sub plan that is about 2-3 pages long.
What needs to be in a sub folder?
- Class List and Seating Chart.
- Rules and Routines.
- Emergency Procedures and Drills.
- Generic Lesson Plans.
- Note Template.
What should be in a sub bag?
- Paper clips.
- Marking pens.
- Name tags.
- Seating chart forms.
- Ream of duplicating paper.
- Literature selections.
- Emergency lesson plans (see Chapter 5 in the Substitute Teacher Handbook for these)
How do I get students on task?
- Provide Focus Through Student Goal Setting.
- Create Awareness with Countdown Timers.
- Encourage Peer Accountability Partners.
- Allow Students to “Sharpen the Axe”
- Provide Project Benchmarks.
What do you do when your class misbehaves for a sub?
- Write letters of apology.
- Don’t wait for an absence to lay out your expectations.
- But don’t feel like you had to give a disclaimer in order to give a consequence.
- Get the parents involved.
- Suss out the main perpetrators with student statements.
- Names matter!
- Focus on the positive.
How do substitute teachers gain respect?
Have high expectations. Share your rules and expectations with students right away. Tell your students you believe they will treat each other and all adults in the building (including you) with respect. This is an important way to encourage students to be on their best behavior for you as their substitute.
Who pays most for substitute teachers?
Pay for substitutes varies by state. The average annual salary in Hawaii was $48,200 in May 2019, the highest salary among states. Oregon followed closely behind at $44,710. Colorado did not have salary data for this occupation.
Do substitute teachers actually teach?
Since substitute teachers often teach a wide range of grade levels, you will likely take assignments with elementary schools, junior high schools, middle schools and high schools if you want a significant number of work hours.
What is the most important responsibility of a substitute teacher?
Substitute Teachers are crucial for keeping the classroom running smoothly when the regular teacher can’t be there. They manage behavior, quickly interpret lesson plans, and create reports that inform permanent staff members about what’s going on in their classroom.
Do long-term subs make lesson plans?
The responsibilities of long-term subs typically include developing lesson plans, assigning homework, maintaining discipline and managing the class.
Why do I love being a substitute teacher?
Many subs love substitute teaching because it gives them full control over their work lives. Substitute teaching means that you work where you want and when you want, and you never have to worry about working off the clock! If this sounds appealing to you, then substitute teaching might be right for you!
Why do you want to be a substitute teacher answer?
Sample Answer: I have always been interested in education and want to help out in any way I can. I have been a substitute teacher for three years and have enjoyed it every time. I am looking for a long-term position, but I am willing to take any job that comes my way.
How do substitute teachers deal with difficult students?
- of 08. Talk to Students Before Class. Thomas Barwick / Iconica / Getty Images.
- of 08. Act Like You’re in Control.
- of 08. Don’t Get Too Friendly.
- of 08. Stay on Top of Discipline.
- of 08. Avoid Confrontations.
- of 08. Give Praise.
- of 08. Keep Students Busy.
- of 08. Have Referral Forms Ready.
Is being a sub easy?
Substitute teaching is a very challenging job—even full-time teachers will admit that. It’s near impossible to walk into a room full of strangers and expect they’ll respect you, listen to you, and behave nicely!